The five reasons we homeschool:
- Distance to school We live about forty minutes from school, twenty minutes on a dirt ranch road and twenty minutes on the highway. The bus would come to the end of our driveway, pretty darn early in the morning and after 4 in the afternoon. I saw the bus driver with our route texting on his cell phone while he was driving the bus the other day. Just another reason I would rather not have my kids ride the bus. Nothing against the bus system but if I can avoid it, I will.
- Kidney dialysis three days a week Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays my hubby drives our car to dialysis in Fort Stockton, about an hour and a half drive, one way. He leaves our house at 3:20 a.m. and gets back to the ranch around 11 a.m.. We share a car and as cool as it would be, we can’t both use it at the same time. His dialysis treatments happen to take priority over just about anything else so we decided it would be wise to work around his treatment schedule. If we could ride our bikes to school…but we are a forty minute car drive so that is just not an option I consider logical.
- My life is far less stressful That’s right, I am far less stressed. In a life where stresses are a dime a dozen, I wanted to eliminate one major one, leaving for school. We left our house between 7 and 7:15 a.m.. That is not early, so to speak but now, we are usually 15 minutes into our school day by that time. I don’t have to rush around, rush the kids around, drive the hour and twenty minute round trip to town and then turn around and drive back after lunch. Now, we wake up, go to school, work hard and finish by lunch. We don’t have to worry about a vehicle to get us anywhere, we don’t have to leave! On days when the hubby does not have his treatments, we sometimes help him in the morning and then do school that afternoon, because we can!
- We don’t waste our kids time I do not believe all of public school is a waste of time but I do believe there is a lot of wasted time. Of course there is: standing in line, walking in line, waiting in line, waiting on other kids to finish, raising your hand to go to the bathroom, getting in line. That is just not something we deal with and as a result we finish our entire day by lunch and only attend Monday – Thursday. I actually drink three full cups of coffee every morning and in basic peace! I say ahhhhhh every morning we don’t have to leave the ranch!
- We can decide our learning priorities And the pace and method in which we learn them! We use curriculum we love but if we did not love it, we could change it, to our discretion and to a method that we think will work for our individualized needs. If we need a home-ec day for laundry and house cleaning, I can take one. We can take really cool field trips, all on our own schedule! The perks go on and on!
Those are the TOP five reasons we homeschool but the longer we do this, the more reasons I add to the list. We can customize our days, our schedules and our lives to our preferences.
I will go into detail about our curriculum, scheduling, organization and so much more later! This is just a drop in the bucket but an important drop in the introduction process! Thanks!